Wednesday, February 07, 2007

1108 Shredder

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

[Later edit - disguised the name of the medical facility. Sigh. Would you believe that within 2 hours of my posting, someone from that facility was reading this entry? If you come back, folks, the incidents were in 1999 and 2000. I assume that by now you have fixed the problem.]

I recently bought a shredder. I got the crosscut kind, 12 pages at a time. It produces little diamonds. It'll do credit cards and CDs, too. Interestingly, if you shred 20 lbs of paper, you get 20 lbs of little diamonds. "Of course!" you say. But it's still somehow a surprise. (They're gonna take away my Mensa card.)

A three inch stack of plain office paper will fill two large plastic garbage bags with little diamonds. That I really wasn't expecting. I really expected them to compact better. I mean, they're little flat diamonds!

I spent a good portion of yesterday shredding old medical records. I'm kinda hoping maybe I can use the results as mulch. Maybe I can start a compost pile. I've always wanted one of those barrel composters that roll on a stand. Ex#2 promised I could have his when he moved, but he gave it away. Of course, he also promised me the utility trailer, but then he sold it.

My mind's wandering.

The records I'm shredding are from Jay's illness. I'm trying not to read anything as I go - I could get all caught up in it and never get finished - but every so often I come across my handwritten notes on a bill, or a sticky-tab, and it jogs my memory.

I had forgotten about all the hours I spent sitting next to the little old ditsy lady in the billing office at A1bany M3dical C3nt3r, trying to straighten out the bills and payments. She'd send bills to me and to the insurance company. The insurance company would send checks, and I'd send checks for our copay, and she'd apply the payments to the totals, not to specific line items, and since since her records were sorted by date of service, not by date of billing, (some departments in the hospital were slower than others in submitting bills), she was applying payments to services for which we had not yet been billed, and then re-billing for earlier services, which, of course, the insurance company refused to double pay. I had to take my stacks of records in every two weeks or so to show her what had been billed and paid, and what had not yet been billed.

She never got it. She really didn't seem to understand that a payment had to be applied to a specific service. I don't know what other sick people who didn't have an advocate did. It was a mess.

And then there's stuff like this:
Dcharge

Can you read it? Back in 1036 The Hell Hole, I complained about the nursing home Jay was in while undergoing immunotherapy on Stat3n Island, and the difficulty with his records there. The above is from the Discharge Summary they handed me when I took him home from there. Those are not notes from the doctor that are meant only as mental notes for the doctor - "mutterings". This is supposed to go to his next caregivers. People are supposed to be able to read them. The next page contained instructions to me for his home care. I couldn't read them, and when I asked a nurse to translate, she couldn't read them either.

Not that it mattered. I knew more about his care and was better at it than they, anyway.

Most of this could go to the recycle center as is, doesn't really need shredding, but I haven't been able to make it to the recycle center during open hours since mid-December. I figure that since I need to shred some, it's faster to just shred all, save time by not sorting. Just more mulch.

Besides, it's fun.

Except the shredder makes a hot metal smell that worries me. Seems like every other time in my life I've smelled that smell, something burst into flames. Usually a cord.

I need more mental stimulation.

.

3 comments:

Christine Dempsey said...

Need more mental stimulation, huh? You should study Suhaila format and start layering... ::evil snicker::

Kate said...

I can only make out bits and pieces of that, like "Decadron dose adjusted" and "focal seizure activity". Sometimes it's really frustrating trying to figure out what has been happening or what the plan is when it all goes back to bad handwriting.

~~Silk said...

The first line under "history" mentions oligoastrocytoma (or ought to), and the second line probably says "Nal1tt -> immune therapy", and that was all I could decipher.

If that's truly "decadron dose adjusted", then the last part of that piece is probably "altered MS (mental status)" - but it shouldn't be, because he had no mental status problems while he was in the Hell Hole.

Interesting.