Wednesday, December 13, 2006

1017 Autism; Left-Handedness

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

I had lunch with Piper today. Before lunch we went over the financial picture. I'm not sure what he's built for me is exactly what I wanted - I wanted diversity, but I also require a certain income that I'm not sure is there. I guess my main problem is that I'm strongly averse to spending principal, I'm used to having interest and dividends to spend, and the way it's set up now I have to sell something to take money out, and that feels too much like spending principal. Actually, what I'd be spending is growth.

It's going to take some time until it stops scaring me. I'm trying very hard to be patient, but he can see I'm nervous. It must be the way my eyes and eyebrows get all big and worried when he runs numbers past me. At the same time, I have every confidence in him.

I just wish he'd stop telling me to be good to myself, and spend some. Ack! I've been poor, and I didn't like it at all.

------------------------------

I came across an article today on how left-handed people have faster communication between the two hemispheres of the brain, which makes them faster at such things as games, sports, and driving in heavy traffic, and allows them to use both sides of the brain in processing language and other high-speed tasks. They are bi-cerebral.

A man's mind will hook me faster than a handsome face. Roman's mind fascinates me. He's mentally very fast, and true. He's an impressive driver, too, and that's not something one would normally notice.

He's a lefty.

The left-handed brain:
http://www.dominicantoday.com/app/article.aspx?id=20273

That (and the misspelling of "Asperger" in the preceding post) led me to an interesting paper titled "Is Autism an Extreme Form of the 'Male Brain'?" The paper is fairly straightforward and simple. They note that typical male brains tend to be better at spacial tasks, and typical female brains tend to be better at social tasks (said notes bounded by the usual PC-required disclaimers, including that for the purposes of discussion, a woman can have a "male brain", and a man can have a "female brain", and there are overlaps). If you put spatial skills at one end of a spectrum, and social skills at the other, then you find:

Spatial skills
-- Autism
-- Asperger Syndrome
-- Normal Male
-- Cognitively Balanced
-- Normal Female
Social skills

The paper is well written, descriptions of how the mind handles tasks are very good. It leaves open a lot of questions for further research.

I found it interesting because I used to tell Jay that he had the most "male" brain I'd ever encountered. He was obviously way up there on the scale. He even had the thing where he saw the parts but not the whole. He saw a lot of things differently. If you asked him to draw a fence, he was likely to draw the spaces where the fence wasn't, rather than start with posts and rails. It ended up looking the same, but he approached it differently. I used to tease him about having an excess of "testosterone-on-the-brain".

And then he got the Asperger diagnosis. (And those folks who wrote the paper got PAID for their observations....)

His mind fascinated me, too.

Paper - "Is Autism an Extreme Form of the 'Male Brain'?"
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?num=30&hl=en&lr=
&newwindow=1&safe=off&q=cache:YnCbCfCXStIJ:
www.autismresearchcentre.com/papers/1997_BCetal_
Malebrain.pdf+author:%22Baron-Cohen%22+intitle:%
22Is+autism+an+extreme+form+of+the+male+brain%22+

.

No comments: