Tuesday, November 14, 2006

976 Why I Don't Watch House

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

I rarely watch House. Tonight I watched House. Now I remember why I rarely watch House.

They temporarily brought a guy out of a coma (?!) brought on by smoke inhalation ten years before. He'd been in a vegetative state for those ten years. The guy immediately raised himself on his arms, and then got up and walked around.

That's stupid. I saw what happened to Jay's body after only six months in bed, and that was with my exercising him for hours every day, beyond his own voluntary movements. Muscles atrophy. Tendons and ligaments shorten. There's no way, even with daily physical therapy, that House's patient could get up and walk.

I am annoyed that they can't seem to write an interesting "medical detective" script without jazzing it up with stupidity, impossibility, implausibility, and illegality. And characters that don't seem to have anything else to do but react to House.

(And have they tried a nerve block on House?)

Jay had often complained that I seem incapable of "suspension of disbelief".

I like coherence. Sorry 'bout that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with you! I cannot stand watching TV where the people involved are doing things that are completely ignorant of any common sense or simple intelligence. When I watch TV and the characters are doing stupid things that normal people wouldn't do, I simply cannot watch anymore. I have to complain loudly and I get told that people watch TV to escape reality. Well, I'm sorry, but I require a good amount of believability in my fantasy, or I cannot swallow it. Too bad!

TV these days is created to dumb down the American public. Have you seen the commercials where the guy sends his kid up a bike ramp and the kid falls off the side and lands on his head and then the commercial says "He saw it on Amp'd Mobile". I CAN'T STAND that! Why would they even do that? Like someone would actually ever do something like that. Really!

Kate said...

Good call on the weakness issue. We often get physical therapy involved for cases of even just a week of bedrest. I haven't seen that show, although the 1st season is somewhere in my Netflix queue as some friends of mine have said it's very clever.