Saturday, October 28, 2006

946 Birthday & Theater Group

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Friday, yesterday, (it seems so much longer ago than that), was my 62nd birthday.

Roman called almost as soon as I walked in the door Thursday. He called from the LI Expressway, where he was on the way to visit his parents. He asked me out to lunch on Friday, for my birthday. That was nice of him. When I checked my email later, I found a birthday ecard from him.

We met at noon in Rhinebeck, and had a three-hour lunch at Foster's. He was teaching an evening class, and was getting a little antsy toward the end of the time, but it was good conversation anyway.

Then I went directly from there to the theater to help with whatever I could. I changed into grungies I had brought along, met some of the set people, and painted about a hundred acres of canvas and plywood flat black. I'm happy with a paintbrush or roller in my hand. Not very creative, but then I don't need creative. There's still a feeling of having accomplished something solid.

After I got home, I found two more (snail mail) birthday cards in the mail from Roman, an ecard from Daughter, an ecard from a friend of Daughter (the young man who reminds me so much of Jay, and whom I want to adopt), a chorus of "Happy Birthday to You" on the phone tape, and later another live rendition including the new son-in-law.

I also found a phone message from Sister, so I played phone tag with her a bit until we caught each other, and that's when I got the latest bad news about Nephew. Which led to more phone tag with Daughter. Then I called Roman to thank him for the additional cards and for lunch - I knew he was teaching a class and wouldn't answer his cell, so the intent was to just leave him a brief thank you message, but he answered, class had ended earlier than I thought, so we talked for a while, I told him about what was going on with Nephew, until Daughter returned my call and I had to cut him off.

I ventually got back to the computer, and the last I remember the clock said 2:30 am, and then I woke up with my head on the desk and it was 5 am. I went to bed for four more hours. I wanted to go back to the theater this afternoon, but I'm totally wiped, and my jaw hurts, and I have a terrible headache from bending my neck funny sleeping at the desk, so I'm not going.

There's been too much high and too much low with too much activity in between. I need a day of rest. I'll go tomorrow.

No comments: