Sunday, September 10, 2006

874 Making Decisions

Sunday, September 10, 2006

That personality test from a few days ago said "You take your time when making decisions and will deliberate on all the possible consequences and alternatives."

People have occasionally remarked that I seem to make decisions quickly and easily, and once having made the decision, I don't seem to agonize about it. They seem to think it has to do with confidence or something.

Nope. Not confidence. And not exactly easily.

Before I make a decision, I gather what seems like a reasonable amount of information. I try to look at the problem from several viewpoints. I try not to overdo information gathering, because that can turn into not making a decision at all, and that's a decision in itself, and usually a bad one.

Then the important step. I ask what are the absolute worst things that can happen if I make the wrong decision, and if that happens, can I accept it, can I live with it? Is no one else affected by it? Can I recover from it? Is there a way I can ensure that is not the result?

When I get that all worked out, especially the recovering or ensuring parts, the rest is easy.

I may not have so much confidence in the rightness of the decision, but at least I know that one way or another, I can handle the worst result.

No comments: