Sunday, July 30, 2006

827 Online Dating Update

Sunday, July 30, 2006

I had mentioned I found another online dating site, and that that seems to be where all the local men are hiding. They're still hiding!

In the past few days, I've turned down nine men from that site, almost all because they are too far away - in the 50 to 100 mile range (my profile says 30 or less, please), most in CT or MA or down around the Jersey line. Some of them sounded really interesting, except for the distance. My criteria is 30 miles. I want a natural friendship to develop, and I figure too much distance puts too much pressure on. You work too hard to impress and end up with false impressions.

Yeah, it's arbitrary. Maybe I don't really want this to work. Roman is still on my mind. But if I don't want it to work, but feel like I ought to try anyway, then the chances of finding an accidental soulmate are better if he's closer. So. Who knows what will happen. At least I'm somewhat open.

There were so many on this new site who were geographically close, and they're not biting. I have only two guys left in the "possibilities" pile, and they're both about 40 miles away. Is it possible that they're all looking for women at some distance, rather than close, because they're afraid not to have distance? The possible reasons for that are not pleasant to contemplate.

On the other sites, the ones I had pretty much given up on because like NOBODY was local, or available, or acceptable, and I hadn't heard from anyone in ages, all of a sudden it's like they woke up. In this past week I've been contacted by several, and I've suddenly got two possibilities (by that I mean ongoing pleasant email-stage contact) from those sites. And both are nearby!

From famine to feast. I wonder if it's a coincidence that in another week I leave town for two weeks. The table could be cleared by the time I'm able to meet any of them.

Anyway, that's where large amounts of time has been going lately - reading emailed notes, reading profiles on three different sites, and responding to shoulder-taps on my super slow connection.

No comments: