Sunday, March 12, 2006

#599 Saturday Goddess

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Amos B. Alcott: To be ignorant of one's ignorance is the malady of the ignorant.

Another interesting evening in Woodstock.

The first group of dancers was from a local "artsy-fartsy" expensive private local college (no, not Vassar). Which meant that a lot of students had come to see their friends dance. They were NOT a nice bunch of kids. They were loud and drunk, and out of every five words, one was the "f-word", and the other was "like". At least that was true of the bunch clustered around where I was sitting, at the end of the bar. They especially frustrated me because they had no respect for the performers. There was a woman playing a harp and singing, and when she began playing, the kids, instead of hushing so others could hear, got louder so they could be heard over the performer. If I were running the show, I'd have thrown them out (or at least asked them to move to the lobby). They were so loud that the singer at first thought her mike wasn't working.

Then the college group danced. Now, before I tear into them, I should note that I realize that they are students, and they probably haven't been studying mid-eastern dance for long. However, there are some very basic things that they should know before they get up on a stage. Like, I doubt that anyone has ever mentioned the word "isolation" to any of them. It looked like they had seen a bellydancer somewhere, and said "Hey, that's easy. I can do that!" and proceeded to do so. Ladies, if you don't know how to do snake arms, don't do them! And it's a shoulder shake, NOT a boob shake! Isolate those ribs! And never EVER kick back and display the sole of your foot to the audience. I was shocked - that's a gross insult! Please remain rooted to the earth. You draw your strength from the earth.

One of the group was apparently the instructor. She had good moves, but there was heavy jazz and ballet mixed into her solo, which is ok only if you call it "fusion".

The place was full of experienced mid-eastern dancers, and it was significant that although there was plenty of applause for them (dancers will always appreciate and support courage) there were NO zagreets*. Not even from me, and I'll do it at the drop of a veil.

Lady Aleeza did her tambourine dance, which I always like. However, she didn't do the super sexy apache-like dance with her husband. He was in full costume, so I had assumed he would be dancing too, but he just drummed.

The Gypsy (Crimson Gypsy Designs) had her renaissance fashion show. I'd seen a lot of her clothing in photos and occasionally on dressmaker dummies, or running through a sewing machine, but this was the first time I'd seen her things on bodies in motion. Gypsy, I'm changing my planned order. I want the "Ruffled Chemise with Gauntlet Cuff Sleeves" and either the "Classic Bodice" or the "Victorian Sweetheart Corset". Or both. I'll probably need a lot of custom fitting (even with the weight off my measurement ratios will be unusual), so let's talk after I've lost the rest of the weight, and when you have a slow period. Like next fall, maybe.

You can always tell when a very special dancer is next up. At Rakkasah, the enormous room full of a gazillion vendors and attendees suddenly goes quiet, and people stand three deep along the walls near the stage and sit on the floor practically under the apron. And they wait. The anticipation is palpable. After the fashion show last night, the room suddenly went quiet. Women, especially other dancers, sat on the floor in front of the tables, encroaching on the dance space, which had not been done for any other dancer. People edged up to the pastry case like they were pretending to buy something, but instead turned, three deep, to the dance floor. An anticipatory hush descended. And then Willow danced.

I know she knows she's good, but I don't think she knows how good. She does incredibly difficult things with no apparent effort. She flows and floats, with incredible strength and muscle control and no bones and pure feeling for the music. (Willow, I wouldn't want you to get a swelled head, so stop reading about a paragraph back.) The zagreets are quieter because when she dances, everyone's throat closes.

We have been urging her to dance at Rakkasah - she should be better known, and she's in her prime right now - but she has always been too busy. Her life is full, and it's here, which is good, but I feel like the rest of the country is missing something by not having seen her dance. A sadness.

I skipped out early again, before the last dancer. I had been sitting on a stool, and my back had about had it by 11 pm.

Going back today.

(*Zagreet - ululations. A piercing sound of encouragement. Also zaghreet, zahgreet, zagreeb, sahgreeb, and multiple other variations. Open your mouth slightly, and say "lu lu lu lu". Now tighten your throat, pitch your voice higher, pull your tongue back a bit, and "lu lu" faster. Your tongue should vibrate, with a buzz, against the top front of your palate.)

1 comment:

Alcuin Bramerton said...

Life is a fluent dance of pure energy.