Monday, August 21, 2017

5108 Eclipse

Monday, August 21, 2017

Nothing much happened here.  We were supposed to get something like 73-78% (I'm not going to look it up again), and it was clear skies out there, but there was just a slight dimming as it passed.  I was watching the sun patches under the tree in the front yard, and saw no shadow move into them.  Birds didn't seem to react, either.  I don't understand.

The last equivalent eclipse I experienced was in 1969, I think, in Kingston, New York.  It was about the same percentage as this one, but I seem to remember it as much different.  It got noticeably darker and cooler, and you could see the moon's shadow move across the sun patches under trees.  Eerie.

I watched a live broadcast on YouTube of when it first hit land (Oregon?  I'm not going to look it up) this morning, and I made the mistake of reading the comments scrolling down the right side of the screen.  Screams of "FAKE!  I'm in Pennsylvania right now, and the sun looks just like normal!"  And so on.  Some people were displaying their smarts by pointing out that it requires a full moon, since a quarter moon or new moon wouldn't fully cover the sun.  

I despair. 

Others were excited because "It won't happen again for 100 years!"  It won't happen here for a while, but there are multiple solar eclipses every single year.  It's just that the vast majority are over the ocean, or desolate or inaccessible areas of Mongolia or the Russian taiga.  Also, the path is relatively short - one or two thousand miles altogether.  I felt sorry for that young lady in France who was begging folks to tell her when it would reach Europe.

I should know better by now - do not read YouTube comments!  It leads to thoughts of suicide.
.

No comments: