Thursday, May 22, 2014

3847 I have dents in my forehead

Thursday, May 22, 2014

An online comment (I think it was on some article having to do with tornado victims):  "It is a tragic fact of life in these United States recently that we rush to judgment and bitterly, caustically denounce others with little or no real information. It's part of the negative social mood under which our nation now struggles. Hopefully, some day we will be able to move forward to better relations with our fellows. Don't expect I'll live long enough to see it on the internet, but I'll do my part where I am."

This guy GETS it!  It's been bothering me for so long, the way people JUST KNOW what's in other people's hearts and minds.  The negativity is so overwhelming and discouraging.

I blame Republicans.

===================

I get impatient when people say that Christopher Columbus "proved the Earth is round".  Um, no, he didn't.  That was his theory, but all he proved is that there is more land to the west of Europe.

===================

A CNN reporter tweeted that Thailand is now under marital law.   Not to be outdone, the caption on Getty images from the scene declare that Thailand is under Marshall law.

These are professionals.  I fear for our country.
.

5 comments:

Zayrina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
~~Silk said...

There's a law school named after John Marshall, so for some people "Marshall Law" is a "thing".

Lisa :-] said...

I have "liked" Salon and Daily Kos on Facebook, so their posts appear on my wall. While many of the articles are right on, politically, I often have to cringe my way through grammatical errors, misspellings, and just plain bad editing. I'm not sure if there is any such thing as a "professional" writer anymore, at least, not as you or I would understand the term... :P

~~Silk said...

...there's no such thing as simple proofreading any more, either.

Becs said...

I have the good luck to work with a number of managers who can write a sentence, paragraph and document. I trust them (as the company technical writer) to post their documents without my input. The others, though - oy. And some of the email I get is definitely cringe-worthy. Some of it comes from directors of the firm and that just plain hurts. Oh for the days when secretaries ran interference.