Wednesday, January 15, 2014

3814 Cable again

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Back in mid-December I called the cable TV/internet folks and got rid of all the extra channels I never watch.  Went to "basic".  Returned the now unneeded set-top boxes.  I thought I'd end up with just the basic networks - CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS - and some local stuff. 

It turns out I have way more than 88 channels.

I went through and eliminated from the automatic list the 16 Spanish channels. Every little municipality has at least one, more usually three, of their own channels - one public access, one townhall, one for school stuff.  I eliminated most of them.

I'm still left with a lot more than I expected - like 3 PBS channels with different programming (one is all children's shows), ION, a movie channel, weather channel, QUBO, and loads of stuff with names like CREATE, LIFE, BOUNCE, THIS, RISE, WORLD, and so on --- I don't even know what they are.

And I'm not particularly interested in finding out.

I wonder if there might be a BBC or a CNN tucked in there somewhere.  They might be the only channels I'll miss.
.

No comments: