Monday, October 01, 2012

3628 Lung power

Monday, October 1, 2012

Democracy is the worst system in the world - except for the other ones.

---------------------------------------------------------

Leslie Stahl said on Sunday's "60 Minutes" that it was part of Arnold Schwarzenegger's life plan to "win one bodybuilding competition after the next".  I'm having trouble figuring out the timing on that.  I guess that's planning two ahead?

-------------------------------

There's some kind of contest on YouTube.  Regular sponsored vloggers (bleck!  Yes, they exist) have been asked to get their regular viewers to submit videos of themselves for the "Supernote 2012" competition.  (See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whfw7O3bCYA&feature=youtu.be for Lamarr Wilson's call for entries, this morning.)

Basically, you just sustain a note for as long as you can.


Now, keep in mind that I was born and raised in a home where both parents smoked two packs a day.  I'm now a little old lady who's been smoking for 50 years.  I got dizzy blowing up the Nugget's wading pool this past summer.  Still, I figured I'd try it, just out of curiosity.

I took a few deep breaths, fulled the old airbags, and woo'd a note. I held the note steady, sustained with no wobbles, for 37 seconds on the first try.  I think I could go longer with some practice, but given my age and smoking history I figured I'd still get nowhere near contest-worthy.

So this evening I checked to see what responses Lamarr had.  There's about 50 of them so far, and most are young males.  I am shocked that very few of them managed to get past 22 seconds!

Let me repeat that - only a handful got past 22 seconds!

And these were submissions, so you know it wasn't the first try - it was the BEST try.

Wow.  Either I have more lung capacity than I expected, or I know how to conserve air.
...

So, how long can you go?
.
.

No comments: