Wednesday, September 12, 2012

3614 Down with Derry!

Tuesday, September 12, 2012

Many people assume that you‘re being brutally honest
when you‘re really only being persistently obnoxious. 
-- Evan Morris --

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd mentioned that I'm reading King's 11/22/63.  I'm now about 150 pages in (of 849 pages) and I have a bad feeling. 

I've always said that I love the WAY Stephen King writes, but I hate WHAT he writes about.  I was under the impression that this book was a little different, that it didn't involve evil spirits, or aliens, or monsters, or Things.  Just time travel.

Along about page 121, our hero enters the town of Derry, and my stomach turned.

Readers of King's non-Tower books know that just about every book touches on events in earlier books.  Derry is not a good sign.  Derry is full of evil spirits and monsters and dead children, and I really don't want to go there.

If anyone else has read 11/22/63, please assure me that in this book, Derry is just a place, and that King isn't going to go getting all weird and disgusting on me.
.

1 comment:

Becs said...

Okay. Well, there are sad and bad things that happen that have justice meted out in the end. But I can't recall any bugaboo sort of thing. As I recall, the setting just degrades and degrades as time shifts.

I am heartily sorry if I am wrong. But I don't think I will be.