Thursday, September 06, 2012

3610 Truth and fish stories

Wednesday, September 6, 2012

Be scrupulously truthful, even if the truth is inconvenient,
for it is more inconvenient when you try to conceal it.
-- Bertrand Russell --

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

It amused me that in Michelle's speech, the sentence "The truth matters" got a huge cheer.

I can forgive Paul Ryan his misstatement about his marathon time.  We all tend to misremember things that happened many years ago.  We remember the feeling, that it was especially good or especially bad, that we were especially proud or especially angry, so we tend to take whatever the details were and add or subtract numbers, points, inches, minutes, whatever to make it as impressive to others as it was to ourselves.

My daughter's GPA, awards, and birth weight, for example, keep growing while her toddler tantrum count keeps falling.  I feel no need for accuracy or apology.  I just subconsciously want others to be as impressed as I was.

I cannot forgive the flat-out lies in political ads and speeches though.  I read somewhere about a Republican TV ad that everyone, even the Republican party, admits is a wild untruth, but that the party continues to run because "it's effective".

"Effective" is more important than "true"?  We are doomed. 

------------------------------

Glenn Close was on "The View" today.  I adore Glenn Close.  Just sayin'.

------------------------------

Perhaps because of a casual mention somewhere, I decided to Google Jan-Michael Vincent.  A "whatever happened to" kind of thought.  I ended up at a poignant article in "LOST Magazine".  Very sad, but somehow ok.

--------------------------------

Did you know you can get nasty worms (anisakis) from sushi and sashimi? The fish must be frozen before use to kill the worms.  Special fish, "sushi-grade" fish, that's been through a flash-freezing process is used for sushi/sashimi.  It's very dangerous to use supermarket or fish market fish, especially wild sea fish.  How come I'd never heard that before?

I am amused that certain people will eat sushi only in certain restaurants because they insist it's "absolutely fresh" there.  Little do they know.  It better not be....
.

1 comment:

Becs said...

Thanks. I had sushi for lunch...