Sunday, May 06, 2012

3526 Punished

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Humans are one of the most complicated things we can mass produce through unskilled labor.

(Oddly enough, being more skilled doesn't produce a better product.  Just maybe more of them.)

------------------------------------------

I went to Rakkasah.  I swore I wouldn't buy anything there - just look at stuff and watch the dancers.  I don't need any clothing, jewelry, or anything else.  Since in the past almost no one there took credit cards, I took a little bit of cash for entrance fee and food, and one credit card for emergencies, and figured I was safe.

I forgot that there's a difference between need and want.  Also that in the past few years venders have acquired fancy devices for internet connection, and therefore can more easily take credit cards.  Two skirts and a blouse later....

But Fate punished me.  Immediately after I had paid for the last purchase, a woman spilled her entire cup of light & sweet coffee smack into my shopping bag and everything in it.  She also got the skirt I was wearing, my stockings and shoes, and onto and into my purse.

I left immediately, drove home, and tossed everything into the washing machine before they dried.  One of the new skirts had little (plastic, sequin-like, bound in embroidery thread) mirrors on beaded strands just above a ruffle at the hem, and I guess they couldn't handle the (gentle!) tumbling in the machine - 24 or more of them came off, the beaded strands suspending them broke, which I didn't discover until I took the skirt out of the dryer.

So now somewhere in the workings of my washer and dryer are a thousand tiny glass beads, and at least two small mirrors.
.

2 comments:

Becs said...

I'm surprised you didn't have a conversation with the clumsy woman about exactly how much damage she had done, or at least asked for her phone number.

I'm sorry the skirts lost their shiny. It's one reason why I'm terrified to wash any of my Oak Tree Road purchases.

~~Silk said...

I didn't confront anyone because it was a chain reaction. The coffee woman was contrite, but not to blame. If I have a discussion with anyone, it should be the woman who made the mirrored skirt. Those beaded mirrored dangles should have held. No excuse for the threads breaking.