Monday, April 23, 2012

3518 My weekend at the shore

Monday, April 23, 2012

You don't have to be a thing of beauty to be a joy forever.
-- Flip Wilson, as Geraldine --

---------------------------------------------------

Daughter, Hercules, Nugget and I all spent the weekend at a shore-front B&B in Ocean Grove.  The original plan was for a big family gathering on Saturday to celebrate the Nugget's first birthday (which is actually this coming Thursday), but no other family members accepted the invitation.  Sheesh.  Nugget's little playmate Sky and Sky's parents came, and that was ok.

Daughter didn't get a cake for Nugget - she got a custard & fruit pie - and given the Nugget's speed at grabbing we didn't use candles.  But there were balloons!




In the photo above, she already has two big strawberries in her mouth and is reaching for more.




 Nugget actually ate half that pie!  There was a second pie for the adults.  (The t-shirt says "Nobody puts Baby in a corner".)


 Balloons!  Nugget moves so fast these days it's difficult to get a still photo when she's on her feet.

The above is the hotel as seen from the boardwalk in the Saturday morning fog. My room was second floor left.
The above is the view from my room's porch, on Friday evening.  Yeah, it needs editing, but no time right now.

Hmmm.  I just tried to upload a second video (a more interesting one) showing what I woke up to on Saturday morning, but when I click on the "Upload a video" button now, it just sits and stares at me.  I have to leave for dance class in a few minutes (yeah, Gypsy, it's BD, but again I'm not really dancing, just exercising), so I'll have to try again in a later post.

To be continued....
.

4 comments:

Becs said...

Love the pix of the Nugget! I don't think anyone will ever be able to put her in a corner, no matter how hard they might try.

Interested in the B&B - love the porch. Overlooking the ocean? This might be an alternative for the now-outrageously expensive Angel by the Sea in Cape May.

~~Silk said...

It's the Shawmont Hotel, Ocean Grove. Website is www.shawmont.com

We got off season rates. They go up drastically as of next month, and they're already booked pretty solidly through the summer.

There are four rooms in the front with porches, and many rooms along the north side along the side street with porches (balconies?, but they call them terraces!) that have a nice ocean view. The rooms along the south side don't have any view, but the lobby and front porch are where one is most likely to hang out anyway.

Breakfast is ok, with instant oatmeal, bagels, pastries, fruit, etc.

~~Silk said...

Yikes! I just looked up Angel of the Sea. The rates are comparable, and Angel seems MUCH nicer. Fancier, with afternoon tea and evening munchies. Shawmont is Victorian in age, Angel is Victorian in atmosphere. If Angel is your standard, you will be disappointed in the Shawmont.

Becs said...

There are some good points about Angel. Actually, the Victorian frou-frou was a bit overwhelming for me. The room I got both time was (I think) #6, off-season both times and it shares a porch with the big, elegant room next door. 2nd floor, great ocean view. I got a sunburn in November. On the not so great side, my room was teeny tiny. My experience with the Borgata is that I would much, much rather have the space and the mod cons and it's the same price if you go during the week.