Thursday, March 24, 2011

3200 Some photos

Thursday, March 24, 2011

No matter how thin you slice it, there are always two sides.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the view north from my back windows. That's a portion of a small lake in the foreground, then a strip of land beyond that that separates the lake and the neighborhood from Raritan Bay, which contains a walkway along the bay to a beach up the way a bit. After that, the bit of dark gray is the bay. Off in the distance you can see a pale strip - that's Brooklyn. It's barely visible during the day, but at night it's a blaze of light and looks a lot closer.

This is as seen from the side window in my bedroom:

My grandbaby, due in perhaps five weeks. I keep saying Daughter is huge. She doesn't look that large in this photo (taken yesterday), but actually she's normally extremely slender and willowy in the middle. She's now at least three times as deep as usual in the belly and behind region. The tummy is perfectly round, like a basketball. (Looks "boy" to me.)

I've spent much of today searching the internet for hints on how to clean up the sweet gum balls in my yard. They are downright dangerous to bare or sandaled feet, and I've heard they are very hard and can kill a lawnmower, so I have to clean them up before the first spring mowing. My neighbor George said the only way is to pick them up by hand, rake them, or use a vacuum.


I've got a zillion of the darn things in my yard. These photos are through the sliding glass doors with the sun shining on the glass, so they're not clear, but you can see all those dark brown balls, mixed in the grass and the straw from last fall's seeding.

They're all in MY yard, not in either side neighbors' yards.

I don't understand.

I looked at "rolling nut picker-uppers", and they don't work on gum balls because of the stems. (Of course they SAY they do, but the reviewers say differently.) I looked at lawn sweepers, and they don't work because they can't get down low enough. (Of course they SAY they do, but the reviewers say differently.)

I looked at lawn vacuums, and those things are huge and expensive (like $800 minimum for the smallest).

I can't rake - I know my back won't stand for that, especially with the straw woven into the grass. I can't bend over and pick them up without destroying my back, unless I use something like a pooper-scooper.

'Bout the only thing I can think of is to put a sign on the front yard offering to pay kids $2 a bucket for picking them up. Or buy a pooper-scooper.

One good thing - a website recommended using them as top mulch on garden beds, since unlike bark or other covers they're easy to pull off to work the soil and push back on, they take decades to rot, they don't block watering, and animals don't like to walk on or dig in them. Plus when your neighbors see it, they think you're amazingly inventive.

Um, anyone want a bucket or two of sweet gum balls?

---------------------------------------------

Update: There's some woman selling bags of the damn things on Etsy, for craftwork! I can do that!
.

8 comments:

the queen said...

There is some organic thing (gas? pollen? sap?) given off by the sweetgum tree that will pit and discolor any brass on the exterior of your house. FYI.

Badass Nature Girl said...

I used to make crafts with those things all of the time! They're great on grapevine wreaths, mixed with other natural, dried items.

little red said...

When I was a kid, we had ambargum trees in both my yard and my grandmother's yard. We had to pick the burrs up by hand. Every year.

Becs said...

Spray paint them gold and sell them as Christmas decorations for five bucks a pop.

Even better if the blasted tree is in your yard, have the thing cut down.

~~Silk said...

There are several in my yard, and in the yards of the neighbors on both sides. "My" trees are in the gully, and are under environmental protection. Besides, they're HUGE! At least 40 feet tall, maybe more. It'd cost a fortune to get them out (even if I could). I'm going to have to figure out how to manage and live with them.

~~Silk said...

Hey, little red, wouldn't it be wonderful if your son could have the same experience you did? Hint hint?

little red said...

There are a lot of experiences I had that I wish my son could also have. I'll have to mention it to him. He Son, we're going down to NJ so you can pick up ambargum burrs from Silk's yard! I'm sure he'd LOVE that!

Kate said...

Was just down at our new house over the weekend and one of our projects was to work on getting the backyard "lawnmower ready". I didn't realize what those darn pokey things are, but we have them all around the bases of 3 of our trees. Had some success with raking them into piles, but that could be because we don't have much in the way of grass yet.