Sunday, December 05, 2010

3187 Boots

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead.)

------------------------------------------------

I just spent literally hours shopping online for just-below-the-knee boots. I have a few suede and ultra-suede skirts that fall between the knee and ankle, and they really need high dressy boots to look right. I don't have any, so I never wear the skirts.

The reason I have no boots that go above the bottom of my calf is that MY LEGS ARE SQUARE!

It's 15 inches from the floor to just below my knee, and my calf at the widest point is 15 inches in circumference. Square. Plus it seems that my calf starts a lot lower than average. My entire ankle area is no more than an inch and a half long.

I figured I needed boots with lycra/spandex tops. They seem to be very rare in anything smaller than a size 7, and even then, the circumference of the top is like 13 inches. In the "wide-calf" boots, the calf circumference seemed to start at 17 inches.

What is a size 5.5 15-incher supposed to do?

Back in the 60s and 70s, you could buy high "socks" that had a knit foot section and then a leather-look or patent-look stretchy section that went to the knee or slightly above. You wore them with your own leather or patent shoes, and they looked for all the world like perfectly fitted boots. They fit my legs so closely with no excess thickness that they fooled the eye into thinking my legs were narrower. I loved them, had several pairs. And then they disappeared, and mine finally bit the dust. I wonder why they no longer exist? They were wonderful.

(Alert! Business opportunity!)

There were a few boots I finally found - in the >$300 range. I was determined to pay no more than $85. I finally found these:

Annie's. $74.95 and free shipping. See that line at the top of the shoe part? They look for all the world like my old "leather" socks with shoes. Except that these look like lycra, and the old thingies looked like leather.

I bought the last pair the online store had in stock. I hope I got them and they don't cancel the order.

By the way, I have a bazillion pairs of shoes, but I never pay more than $30 for shoes. Usually more like $20 on sale at Shoe Town. This is simply another broken rule.

5 comments:

the queen said...

Theres a brand of wide calf boots they sell at Hot Topic.

~~Silk said...

Hot Topic's boots all look like they require a either a motorcycle or flat black dyed hair as accessory. Or maybe a corset and a whip.

Anonymous said...

Go to http://www.WideWidths.com because they have boots for you in your calf size. When you are petite, you have to choose a boot differently than a taller person and they explain this in detail on their website. I had the same problem and I found them and now have the first boots I was ever able to fit into in my whole life. Good luck!

~~Silk said...

Thanks for the pointer, Anon. Their fitting tips were very good. (Their prices were, unfortunately, not.)

I forgot to mention that I have to take my extremely high instep into consideration, too, so I think I need a stretch boot where the leather shoe part doesn't come up too far, or I wouldn't be able to get my foot down into the non-stretch part.

Becs said...

PS - Google Analytics sometimes kills response time on your site.