Tuesday, July 06, 2010

3014 Hot birdies

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

"Early morning cheerfulness can be extremely obnoxious."
-- William Feather --

--------------------------------------------

I heard some guy today refer to "adulterated jokes". He meant "X-rated jokes". No, he did not say "adult-rated", although that's obviously where his confusion came from.

-------------------------------------

There was a doctor on the CBS Early Show this morning who said that campfire smoke is 12 times as carcinogenic as cigarette smoke, and the effects stay in your body up to 45 times as long.

A lot of people in my neighborhood burn wood in woodstoves all winter. Depending on the weather, there's frequently a 3-foot thick undulating layer of smoke, about 6-10 feet up, throughout the lower parts of the street.

So, how long before someone insists that all homes must have scrubbers on their chimneys?

-------------------------------------

100 degrees today. Everywhere I went, people were complaining about how hot it was. Oddly, the heat didn't bother me at all. In fact, while waiting at the BMW garage for the rental car, I sat on a bench outside in the shade and read my book.

I don't often have a problem with heat. Humidity can be difficult, but seldom heat.

The baby birds in the nest over the porch light are usually deep in the nest, not visible from the porch. Today they're perched on the edge of the nest. Trying to stay cool, I guess. I took three pictures, and every one is fuzzy, I don't know why, but here they are in the least fuzzy:
.

No comments: