Saturday, May 29, 2010

2973 Sunscreen, back, consignment

Saturday, May 29, 2010

"If we let people see that kind of thing, there would never again be any war."
--senior Pentagon official on reasons why United States military censored footage
showing Iraqi soldiers sliced in two by U.S. helicopter fire--

----------------------------------------------------

A friend left a comment on my earlier post about sunscreens, linking to a site with all kinds of sunscreen info. That site linked to another site rating sunscreens, where you could sort and locate a sunscreen meeting your criteria.

Unfortunately, all the most highly rated sunscreens have ingredients that are not particularly safe, and all have zinc. I suspect it's the zinc that I find most annoying.

So I went to the CVS and bought a few to try. The lower SPFs have less zinc, but it seems to be very difficult to find a 15, which I suspect would work just fine since I'm not swimming or sweating. So far, the one I like best is CVS house brand clear spray-on SPF 30. I spray me in the shower stall before I get dressed, and it's ok, except that it's a tiny bit oily. Not enough to stain clothes, but enough to make the coverup not stay on the nest of blood vessels above my upper lip.

Today the same friend sent an email. She'd found one at the Woodstock flea market I might like. I went to the seller's website and bought it. (Thanks, Gypsy.) It doesn't have zinc or too much oil, but it does have more oxybenzone than the CVS.

-----------------------------------

Last week with The Man, an over-exuberant, um, hug, caused a sharp pain in the right side of my chest, under the center of the breast, which immediately went away. The next day it came back. I thought I may have a cracked rib. Now it hurts only when I do a pulling-to-the-center motion with my right arm - you know, like when you have to overcome the resistance to put a standard transmission in reverse? Hm. It doesn't hurt when I press on individual ribs, so maybe it's just a muscle thing?

Anyway, today it has moved to the back, next to my spine, below the shoulder blades. Feels like someone is jabbing me with a knuckle. I'm used to that, happens often, that's where my father kicked me and ruptured a disk which didn't heal well, and all I have to do is sit and stand straight, no slumping or sagging shoulders. So I went to the annual Antiques Fair at the fairgrounds.

Bad idea. There are about 400 dealers' booths, and a bit of a hike (uphill) from the parking lot. I think the back/rib grinch has affected the way I hold my body or something, because I was only a third of the way through touring the booths when the tops of my thighs, the joint where they join the hips, began to ache. Not pain, more like unbelievably tired. Two-thirds of the way and my knees started to feel like they weren't going to support me any more. I skimmed the last third, and wasn't sure I'd make it back to the car.

I've never ever felt like that walking before. Normally I can walk almost forever.

I still feel achy and tired from the waist down. Probably should take a bubble bath.

I accidentally forgot my checkbook, which was probably lucky. I was restricted to cash. I bought some colorful throw pillows, a vintage Lucite bracelet featuring orchids buried in clear Lucite on a black background,

and a pair of tiny pearl earrings. I put the earrings on to wear for the day, and I left the price tag ($10) dangling from one of them. When someone would mention the price tag, I'd say, "Yes. They're Minnie Pearl's (mini pearls)."

-----------------------------------

Someone suggested that I consign my too-big closet contents to a resale shop, and I said that there are none in or near the village. Well, guess what? Just in the past month, three have opened nearby. I guess the economy's right for it.

I visited one the other day, and I don't think I want to consign my stuff there. She's selling brand new quite fashionable blouses for $3, and gorgeous dresses for $13 or less. (A consignment shop gets a large bite of that.) I'd do better donating and taking the tax deduction!

I can't go back there. The place is dangerous. I bought a blouse and two very flattering dresses. Not helpful.
.

3 comments:

the queen said...

Don't they say that deep ... massages ... release toxins that can cause intermittent pains?

Becs said...

Love the bracelet. And the Minnie Pearls! What a hoot!

Hope the bubble bath helps.

the Gypsy said...

Let me know what you think when you get the sunscreen.