Saturday, May 08, 2010

2960 Car!

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Democracy, n.: A government of the masses. Authority derived through mass meeting or any other form of direct expression. Results in mobocracy. Attitude toward property is communistic... negating property rights. Attitude toward law is that the will of the majority shall regulate, whether it is based upon deliberation or governed by passion, prejudice, and impulse, without restraint or regard to consequences. Result is demagogism, license, agitation, discontent, anarchy.
-- U.S.Army Training Manual No. 2000-25 (1928-1932), since withdrawn. --

-----------------------------------------------------------

My car is in! The salesman called today. It will be two days or so before I can pick it up. I guess they need to "do stuff" to it first.

Monday is filled up with the NJ attorney and an evening dinner. Tuesday I have to take Jasper to the vet (maybe I can change that appointment, since it's not like he's sick or anything).

The dealership is about 40 minutes south, and I need to figure out how to get there without a car. Piper would happily take me, but he'd been in Florida for the past two weeks taking care of his elderly mother while his sister was on vacation, so I know he's buried in work right now, so I don't want to ask him. I checked the county bus routes. They seem to be geared toward getting people to jobs and home again - the latest of two daily buses downriver leaves the village at 7:56 am (! Ack !) and I'd have to change buses in Poughkeepsie. A taxi would cost a zillion dollars. Almost all my friends have jobs, and most of them live way the heck down there, so it's a strain for them.

Gee, sorry. Don't you wish you had my problems?

------------------------------

It snowed last night in the Catskills. Sigh.
.

4 comments:

the queen said...

I say you are paying a zillion dollars for a house and a car, make it a zillion and one for the taxi.

I don't guess the dealership would pick you up?

~~Silk said...

Naw. I asked. They'll pick up or deliver as far north as Hyde Park, but not this far. And yeah, I'm considering a taxi. The problem with that is less the cost, and more that local taxis are "independent contractors", and not very reliable. Some of them are rather shady.

Becs said...

Rent a car?

Tell the dealer to come pick you up! You spent a bazillion dollars. They can get into a car to come fetch you. Better yet, why don't they deliver?

~~Silk said...

Yeah, I'm spending a bazillion dollars, but I struck a hard deal. Nobody's buying cars these days, so they're hurting. I'm paying only a bit over invoice, so they're not making much of a profit on me.

I almost feel guilty. Almost.