Sunday, April 04, 2010

2922 How not to date online

Sunday, April 4, 2010

All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

----------------------------------

It doesn't hurt to keep a resume out there, even when you currently have a temp job. So, I do have profiles on two online dating sites.

I got this a few days ago:

Subject: DATE ME

Hello,
I like to be real to you nice woman because i like u before i start to know you.
Im a marry man 60 years old establish nice greek personality and i think am handsome man.
225 lbs 5' 9 gray hair.Im in business all my life but i never have a woman to make me happy and likes trips,nice cozy restaurant dinners and romances.
Im looking to find a woman mature and loving like u to enjoy the good things in life,If u think we can enjoy together because i think you are the nice person am looking for

[name deleted]
Don't know what that "marry man" means. His profile says single, never married. No photo. Sounds like a nice guy, but bit clueless, and absolutely not my type. He also sounds like he could get too involved too soon and turn into a stalker.

Sigh.

I've found that when one gets notes like this, one must NOT reply. A gentle negative citing distance or diverging interests or current commitment will get you a barrage of sales pitches. They seem to think they can convince you to give them a chance, that they can fix whatever the problem is. That, or you get a nastygram back, calling into question your motives and virtue. So, since I hesitate to say "I don't think we can have an interesting conversation, and your ardor scares me", he gets no reply.
.

1 comment:

Becs said...

I'm not on any of the sites anymore. The classic was from a guy who said, "Gee, I must have really been high when I wrote that". And meant it. Ten years ago, that had to have been.

I'm taking my toys and staying home, thank you.