Saturday, February 13, 2010

2777 Confused about food

Saturday, February 13, 2010

The price is what you pay, the value is what you receive.
-- Salada Tea tag line --

----------------------------------

In this recent post, http://thesilkentouch.blogspot.com/2010/02/2772-cell-conspiracy.html, I linked to an article about research on the health dangers of cellular phones and towers. Now, there's this:

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AI_chv7nCU]

I am horrified! Radar? Constantly bathing your body at close range?

Even when you aren't using your cell phone, if it's on it's periodically sending and receiving positional signals (using microwaves, which is essentially radar), but I suspect this is a much stronger signal. And it will not be broadcasting periodically. It will be constant. And anything that can go through a purse or pocket is going through to your hip bones.

I wonder if that guy would be willing to strap it to his infant daughter's forehead.

---------------------------------

After Thursday's visit to the nutritionist, I spent all of yesterday doing research. It's all very confusing. I'm supposed to have
  • 6 servings of complex carbs
  • 4-6 servings of protein
  • 2-3 servings of fruit
  • 2 servings of dairy
  • 3 servings of vegetables
  • 3 servings of fats
scattered over three meals and three snacks every day. But the nutritionist and the Mayo Clinic, among others, seem to differ on which classification various foods fall into. The nutritionist considered nuts to be protein, but Mayo put them in the fats group. The nutritionist wants me to have a protein with every meal and snack, but if I am to have 5 servings of protein a day, and one "serving" of beef, pork, chicken is 1 ounce (that's ONE!), I don't see how.

I discovered that you can't decide you're hungry, walk out to the kitchen and open the refrigerator or cabinet, and think, "What shall I eat?" When you have to parcel out what classes can be eaten in what combination, you have to plan the whole day's meals and snacks ahead of time. The diabetic diet isn't about simply avoiding sugars. It's about combinations and balance.

I looked in the pantry and refrigerator, and there's a lot of stuff I can't have any more. I should just get rid of it. I asked Daughter, and she doesn't want any of it. She said to give it to a soup kitchen or something, but they won't accept it because it's all been opened and decanted. Ever since an attack of nasty flour moths and some kind of tiny black beetle that could drill through soft plastic and cardboard, I've kept everything in glass jars and big plastic jugs. So there's flour, sugar, brown sugar, pancake mix, Basmati rice, dirty rice, five different kinds of pasta, dessert mixes, Bisquick, creamy soup mixes, on and on, almost all out of their original containers. I doubt anyone else would (or frankly, should) trust them.

I guess the raccoons and turkeys will be having a feast.

---------------------------

Later - the chocolate will stay. A long time ago I mostly stopped eating regular candy chocolate and switched to unsweetened or semi-sweet baking chocolate to satisfy my occasional but powerful chocolate cravings, with the occasional Lindt truffle. It won't be cheating, really. The nutritionist said I could have one dessert a week.
.

2 comments:

Becs said...

Check out eDiets.com. I used them a couple of times. It isn't just for losing weight, it's to help keep things balanced.

Also, check out Clean Eating or Eating Clean by Tosca somebody. The book may be in your library. But she basically lives with a cooler of appropriate homemade stuff to get her through the day. Interesting concept.

Getting the hang of this is never easy but once you do, it's with you for life.

the queen said...

I had the temporary diabetes on the IV steroids and having the nurses take my blood sugar before and after I ate really pointed out the influence of what I ate on how I felt. I also remember french toast with sausage and syrup being the first meal every day on the diabetic diet.