Wednesday, January 27, 2010

2760 Three days

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Ignorant men don't know what good they hold in their hands until they've flung it away.
-- Sophocles --

-----------------------------------

I've been watching the Bear Cam (www.bear.org - works better on Internet Explorer). Can't see much, but the cub is very noisy - even over the constant hum. Little motorboat putter, punctuated by squeals and screams when he feels cold, has to go potty, or can't find the nipple. I haven't decided whether the cub is so loud because momma is dormant, or that mother nature makes the momma dormant so she doesn't kill the annoying little bastard.

I know I would have by now....

-------------------------------

I'm hearing more and more about relatively young people with jobs, cars, and ipods borrowing from their IRAs and 401Ks, just to pay off credit cards. That's scary.

-------------------------------

I've been educated. "She been knew that" is the past tense of "She be knowing that", therefore it's more correct than the more commonly heard "She done knowed that".

-------------------------------

Saw Precious with my Meetup group on Sunday. There were originally seven, then one woman canceled the day before, one canceled two hours before, and one simply didn't show up, leaving four. Then three of us went to dinner after. Good conversation - and if you see Precious, it's a good idea to talk about it after.

A lot of people have described it as depressing. I did not find it so much depressing as realistic. The story would have been much more depressing if she hadn't gotten pregnant. Her life would have just gone on and on without change.

--------------------------------

Dinner at Cafe Maya last night. I was a tiny bit disappointed because they didn't have the chicken dish I'd had before - it was a special that night - but they have another similar, with just spinach and mushrooms under the chicken instead of the mixed roasted veggies, so I was satisfied. Three of us stayed talking for almost an hour after the others left. A good evening.

--------------------------------

Jasper went to the vet today for his annual exam and inoculations. He always has fits when I first put him in the carrier. He actually tore his nose and upper lip on the door grid trying to get through it. But at the vet's he's very good. Lets the vet do anything (Miss Thunderfoot used to fight the vet), and hides his head under my arm when the vet's not poking at it. He was purring so loud the whole time that the vet couldn't hear his heart, and his behind was vibrating from the purring.

That part I don't understand. The purring when he was obviously stressed. He doesn't purr that much at home.
.

1 comment:

Becs said...

Cats will also purr when they're distressed. It's like a kid sucking her thumb. They do it to try to comfort themselves.

My beloved Mosby used to make his nose and mouth bleed on the cage grids. That's why I got a fabric carrier, the kind made by Samsonite. They can't rip the fabric and they don't hurt their lovely little nosies.