Sunday, December 27, 2009

2720 RIP

Sunday, December 27, 2009

A ditch can't be filled with dirt from its sides.
-- Jewish Proverb --

------------------------------

Every once in a while I'd search the internet for Ex#1. I never found him. My late husband died in my arms, and Ex#2 is living in NJ, but I didn't know what happened to Ex#1.

Having no assets, our divorce in 1968 was very quick and nasty. We made a deal that whoever remarried first would buy the other a steak dinner. He remarried within six months, a woman with two children.

In the mid-'80s, his Catholic wife wanted a church wedding, so he contacted me and I dutifully filled out the forms and wrote an essay on why we married, and why I left, and the Catholic church, after three iterations, granted an annulment. It was very difficult to get it right, and brought up a lot of stuff better forgotten, and I was left angry because he never thanked me. (Probably because I refused to help pay for it.)

Lately, I've been wondering how things worked out for him. Besides, he owes me a steak dinner!

Today I heard about the Social Security Death Index (through a secret on PostSecret, http://ssdi.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/ssdi.cgi), and I checked it.

Robert Morris Derrick, DOB October 18, 1941, Pennsylvania resident, DOD November 24, 1997.
.

1 comment:

Becs said...

I used to wonder if I would go to Xman's funeral. When I was married, the answer was an enthusiastic "yes!". Now, though, I think I'd go out, buy myself a good bottle of wine and come home to celebrate. Hurrah, I get his social security!