Saturday, October 24, 2009

2635 Yesterday, today, tomorrow.

Saturday, October 24, 2009

If e-mail had been around before the telephone was invented,
people would have said, "Hey, forget e-mail! With this new telephone invention,
I can actually talk to people!"
-- The Executive Speechwriter Newsletter --

-------------------------------

Last night, Friday, I went to a Hallowe'en Haunted House.  It was cold and pouring rain, and we all stood outside in the rain for a half hour waiting for the last couple to arrive.  Then we got in line, and waited in the rain for another 45 minutes until we could get into the "house" (the website showed a mansion, but it was actually a series of linked shipping containers, decorated to look like an abandoned village).  The entire contents of my purse got soaked.

It was fun, but not the way one would expect.  Like, a zombie would jump out of nowhere and scream into my face, so I screamed right back into his face, then we did the Lucy/Harpo mirror routine, punctuated with synchronized screams.  A madman ran up to me with a chain saw, so I raised my furled umbrella and yelled "en garde!" and cracked him up.

Tonight I went to a movie, French with subtitles, in Valatie, "Priceless".  It was pretty good.  It was about a young woman who lives off rich old men, and a young man, a hotel employee, who falls in love with her when she mistakes him for a wealthy schmuck.  She runs through his savings in a matter of days, then discovers he's not wealthy and dumps him.  He is about to be arrested when he's unable to pay the bills she ran up, and is saved by a wealthy older widow.  He's still besotted with the young woman, and discovers that if he services the older woman, he's able to catch glimpses of the young woman at society affairs.  Of course in the end, the young man and woman ride off (penniless) into the sunset together.  (We figured that would last maybe a week.)

On the way home I stopped at a gas station for a bottle of tea, came down slightly off center on the heel of my right boot, which slipped sideways, and I fell on my hip.  The embarrassing part was not falling - it was that I bounced when I fell.

I'm going to a Native American Spirituality something-or-other tomorrow with Daughter and Hercules, in Ocean, NJ.
.

1 comment:

Becs said...

Don't go in the sweat lodge!