Friday, December 07, 2007

1580 Jasper, CASA, Phone

Friday, December 7, 2007

I may have to put childproof latches on all the cabinet doors. Jasper is the first kitty I've ever had who gets into cabinets. He's also the most active, most curious kitty I've ever had, and I've had cats all my life.

Well, there was Smokey - 1958 to 1975. She used to open the back door to let the dog in and out, and if she got hungry, she'd open the refrigerator and sit on a shelf. You'd open the door and find her in there sampling leftovers. But she never got into cabinets.

--------------------------------

I'm still getting all kinds of information from CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates). Back when I went to the volunteer fair at the mall, and signed up for the stuff I'm involved in now, CASA was one of the things that most interested me. Volunteers are trained, and then assigned by a family court judge to advocate for a child (or siblings) in a bad home situation.

I know a lot of the local judges and lawyers, from having done court mediation, and from having worked (as a volunteer) in a family law office. And I like kids and get along well with them, perhaps because of my size (they trust me) and because I don't preach to them. They tell me I'm "real".

(By the way, I don't agree with the statement on their site, that CASA is "the only volunteer organization that empowers everyday citizens as appointed members of the court." We volunteer mediators were also officers of the court, with all the reporting responsibilities attendant on that office.)

I had discussed it with several of my friends, and they all strongly advised me not to do it. Unfortunately, if a child is in no imminent physical danger, they often have to go back to their parents, even if they are in emotional or psychological danger, because of the rights of the parents, and this can be very difficult to accept. My friends all advised me that I'd get too emotionally involved.

My friends explained that I know I couldn't possibly work at an animal shelter, I'd end up taking home every animal no one else wanted, and CASA could be worse. I'd end up in jail for kidnapping children and hiding them from the court. A basement full of kids.

I think my friends are right. If not actual kidnapping, there might be a lot of stress and sleepness nights.

So when CASA kept trying to schedule me for the training, I wrote them a letter explaining that I had decided it was not a good match for me, and why, and "please take me off the list".

They're still sending me information, and I can't open the envelopes, because every time I do, I want to sign up again.

-------------------------------------

I went to bed early last night, about midnight, and spent the next two and a half hours propped on my elbows reading the new cell phone's instruction book and trying out all the phone's functions. I can read my email on my cell phone! But I don't know if that costs extra. The next bill will be interesting.
.

3 comments:

Becs said...

They have the same thing here. As much as I wanted to sign up, I knew I would get too enmeshed with the problems to be of any good use.

You've done the smart thing, no matter how hard it is to resist.

Chris said...

CASA does a lot of good here locally, but it isn't for everyone, I'm sure. Do whatever your heart and mind tell you....but don't put them in your basement!

~~Silk said...

Sigh. That's the problem. My heart and half of my mind say "Do it! Save those kids! Make sure their voices are heard!" and I know I could be a very good advocate because I am thorough, tenacious, and persuasive.

The other half of my mind (why do I see the angel and devil on the shoulders thing?) says "Protect yourself first. This is not safe for you!"

That's the smaller, weaker voice, and I don't want to admit it's right.