Sunday, September 16, 2007

1474 Buncha Bits

Sunday, September 16, 2007

We had the second bylaws revision meeting today. Went very well. Ziggy and I don't get along on some things, but we do seem to work well together. Makes sense, I guess. We've both been well trained by The Company. I had hoped this would be the last in-person meeting of the committee, but we have the election schedule to work out yet, so I guess there will be one more.

------------------------------

I happened to walk into the kitchen today, and caught an interview with Jeff Gordon, the race car driver, on the kitchen TV. (I'm pretty sure that's the name. Young, good looking, right?)



It stopped me cold. For half a second I thought it was Ex#1. Jeff is much better looking, smaller nose and rectangular face, but the two of them have exactly the same mouth and eyes, and exactly the same way of moving them. It's uncanny. I left me wondering what Mr. Gordon's mind is like, wondering how vicious he could be when angry.

------------------------------

A Jewish friend was talking about how one does not write the name of God, and that's why in the blogs of religiously observant Jewish folks, you'll see "G-d". Because you can't write the name.

Um, since everyone knows what you mean by G-d, hasn't that become the name? Simply an alternate spelling of it? What is the purpose of the prohibition? Does substituting "-" for "o" satisfy the purpose of the prohibition? Like maybe when God does a universal Google search for his name, He won't find your (vain?) post?

I find use of "G-d" very annoying. Either write it or don't, but don't pretend the "-" makes a difference. There are many names for God, "G-d" is one of them by definition since we all know who you mean, and, well, you just wrote it, you bad person, you.

-------------------------------
It's hard when nobody wants their pictures in your blog. I had to cut folks out of this one:

Me, feeding ducks. Gully's, Newburg, Mensa Mirthday celebration, August 17, 2007.
.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Hmm.. I thought that God was already a substitute name from the ancient Hebrews not wanting anyone to irreverantly address God by name.

~~Silk said...

Yup. Exactly my point. Anything you use to "name" something eventually becomes the name of that something.