Saturday, March 17, 2007

1168 Snow Tired

Saturday, March 17, 2007

It took me three hours to (partially) clear the driveway. The snow ranged from 12 to 18 inches, but it probably started out deeper, because it was heavily packed and crusted on top. Sleet or freezing rain at the end of the storm must have packed it.

It usually takes me 1.25 hours to clear it completely. Today I managed the length of the "road" side-to-side, but at the top of the drive, I managed only a big "Y", so I can pull the Aerio in, and turn it around to get out, but that's all. The van is still up to its door handles, and I think it's likely to stay that way now until thaw.

The main problem was that the snow was so dense the snow thrower couldn't throw it far. I start with the middle and clear out to the edges, but this time before I got halfway to the edges, the snow and what had been thrown on top of it got to be over three feet high, and it was just too hard to keep trying to push it farther over. When the snow thrower couldn't throw the snow over the bank, I had to give up.

I'm hoping it will all melt within the next two weeks.

---------------------------------------------------

Another one of those "misheard lyrics", like hearing "There's a bathroom on the right" instead of "There's a bad moon on the rise". Instead of "Lay, lady, lay. Lay across my big brass bed", I thought it said "Leah, Lady Leah, play it with my big brass band."

---------------------------------------------------

A motivational speaker on PBS this morning said that the common perception among youth is that older people are "conventional", but in reality, nobody is as conventional as teenagers. ("Conventional" was her word.) That teenagers feel they have to do, wear, be, speak exactly like "everyone else" to be accepted.

Yeah, that does seem to be true today, but in my experience it wasn't true in the sixties and seventies. Maybe it was because I went to a very small high school in a mountain area, and then taught in a small town high school. Has it changed? Is it harder to be different now? If so, why?
.

1 comment:

Becs said...

Apparently the groups with the strictest etiquette/behavior rules are prisoners and high school students. The latter would argue that they are the former...

Jr. high school was much worse for me than high school. By high school, all the sorting was done and you were already in your caste and doomed to stay there until graduation.