Sunday, December 17, 2006

1021 Generic Title

Sunday, December 17, 2006

One more commercial complaint - the Dunkin' Donuts commercial in which people at the "other" coffee shops complain about about being forced to order in French, or Italian, or Fretalian, but at Dunkin' Donuts, "you can order your latte completely in English". Are they really unaware that "latte" is not English? Aaaarrgh! Not being a coffee drinker, I'm not even sure what "latte" means. Isn't that like "coffee with milk"?

I went to work at the veteran's house again today. I half expected my back to be iffy this morning, but it was fine. My thighs were something else, though. They were screaming "Please don't do this to me again!" but I told them to shut up, it's good for you, and tonight they even feel good.

The men were burning the branches from the dead black walnut tree they had cut down, and the wood scraps from the construction. Being a bit of a pyromaniac, I was happy to take over the care and feeding of the bonfire. They had also replaced the toilet, and the plumber had been and gone before I got there, but by the end of the day, there was still no water. I guess the burst pipes (freeze damage) were most extensive than first thought.

They sent me to the hardware store to buy more roofing nails, and a second trip to Wal*Mart to buy venetian blinds, a shower curtain bar, a monster tarp, and bungee cords. That trip was a horror. I had to weave through the parking lot for 15 minutes before I got a parking spot, and the lines at the checkout were a horror.

I got thoroughly smoked. My hair turned gray-green from the bonfire smoke, and it felt stiff and pasty. When I got home I soaked in the tub and washed my hair, but my hair still has a slightly off color. I've got black in my pores, and I'm still digging soot out of my nose. Getting clean may take a while. (Now I remember another reason I dislike camping.)

I was so full of energy when I got home, I decided to find out why the bathtub in the hall bathroom drains so slowly. I took the works apart, and found that it wasn't just a water salts deposit problem, and not just a hair problem, it was both. I have extremely hard water, and water evaporation on the bits of hair in there had created a solid salt dam, about a quarter inch thick. Acid didn't touch it. I had to chip it apart. But now the tub drains.

I am content.
.

No comments: