Wednesday, July 05, 2006

778 DBA; Fun With Journaling

Wednesday, July 5, 2006

[07/06 Edit - added date and changed font sizes. That's all, folks!]

I got up early and dressed to go to the county offices to renew my "assumed name" (as New York State calls what everyone else knows as a DBA). I had been told by my accountant that it would need renewal after two years. I had originally applied for "
(Hidden)" on July 9, 2004. But when I dug out the documents, even though I applied for it in July, the papers from the state are dated May, 2005. So when do I have to renew? Now or next May? The accountant had also said that the state would send me a reminder, but I know better than to depend on New York State.

I called the county record center, and they said it never expires. I have to actively cancel it.

I'm not sure who to believe. At any rate, I didn't go. Heck, it's a 45 minute drive, one way.
----------------------------------

I am again amused by the site statistics (SiteMeter.com). The count of people looking for "800-503-7001" has shot up again. (And if you're one of them, type the phone number into the white box above, and click on "search this blog". Then read the entries and the comments. It's a scam, especially if they mentioned a "yp.com" web site, and you should watch your phone bill carefully for a few months.)

Somebody in Doha, Qatar, ended up here by searching for "i love silk against my skin feel it trail it over my thighs". Whoa! I wonder what he or she was really looking for. A poem, perhaps? It's certainly pretty specific. This is what the search engine hit on in my journal: "I haven't been active on eBay in over a year. So, how did "Silk  ... That's what it feels like, mostly all over my thighs and ... Sometimes I don't know whether to love her, hate her, or feel sorry ...". Bits from hither and yon, unrelated to each other.

Another person, from Durham, North Carolina, found me by searching for "locating and correcting reading difficulties". My journal was on page 18 (!!) of the search results. One wonders, given what he or she was obviously looking for, why he/she bothered to click on and read my journal. Especially when the search hit produced, from this journal, "to lie, and not to allow her to believe untruths by not correcting... I had assumed that the other woman had physical difficulties, but NJ ...".

Accidentally getting this journal when you're searching for something else is one thing. Actually clicking on it and reading it when it's so obviously not what you're looking for is something else. Curiouser and curiouser.

----------------------------------------------------

With such a slow connection, when a site is loading, I can watch the process messages at the bottom, like "Waiting for www.xxx.com", and "Transferring data from www.xxx.com', and so on. More and more lately, I've been seeing mention of "tribalfusion.com" in those messages. Huh? Why do I see a reference to tribalfusion.com when I'm loading something like a news site, or whatever?

Y'all know I have an interest in belly dance. There are several schools or styles - what most people are familiar with is cabaret. I kinda like American Tribal Style (ATS). "Fusion" means a melding of two or more styles or forms. It's entirely possible that in the past I had visited a site named "TribalFusion". So seeing it jumping in there almost every time I visit somewhere else is disturbing.

Turns out tribalfusion.com is an advertising placement site! Nothing whatsoever to do with any form of dance. I wonder how and why they chose that name.

Just another thing I don't understand....

No comments: