Monday, May 15, 2006

692 True, False, True

Monday, May 14, 2006

See entry #685, wherein you were given three facts about me, two true and one false, and then were to detect the false claim. Here's the answers.

Fact 1:
I once held my breath for over five minutes.

It's true. I really did. Story to follow pretty soon.
(Later Update: The story is at "694 True Fact #1 - Holding Breath". )

Four people figured #1 is the lie.

Fact 2: When I was in college, I sold my hair to buy winter clothing every fall.

This is the lie. Readers of this journal may be aware that I had very little clothing in college - I went one Pennsylvania winter without a coat, just a rubberized poncho and a sweater. It is also true that my hair grew quickly then, about 1.5 inches a month (it grows about an inch a month now - I can tell by the dark roots). But my hair was very dry, and had not only split ends, but splits in the middle of the shaft. Nobody would buy it. However, as proof that it was possible, I had a friend in the dorm who really did do it. She started college with hair down to her tailbone, and sold a bit over a foot every fall to buy textbooks. This was the early 60s, wigs were fashionable, and they paid top dollar for real hair.

Seven people decided #2 was the lie, which surprised me. I thought it would easily be the most, not least, believable.

Fact 3: I was the subject of a military manhunt, orders to shoot on sight.

It's true. And when the patrol didn't kill me, I thought my father would. Details will follow, pretty soon.
(Later Update: The story is at "693 True Fact #3 - Manhunt".)

Six people thought #3 was the lie.

So, as a group, you pegged me! Which is a surprise. I really thought y'all would buy my hair, even if no one else would....

No comments: