Monday, October 15, 2012

3642 Schnork

Monday, October 15, 2012

Identifying a problem is more important than solving it.

---------------------------------------------

Sick.

I was fine yesterday late afternoon.  I went across the street to visit the Nugget for a few minutes.  Hercules, her father, was sniffing and snuffling and complaining of a slight fever.

I left them and went to the grocery store, and my nose started running in the bread aisle.  Yeah, that suddenly.  Naturally, I had no tissues.  I was licking it off my upper lip and hoping nobody'd notice. 

Also naturally, I walked right past the colds aisle and didn't buy any decongestants.  I've got nothing in the house, mostly because Daughter goes through my kitchen pantry and medicine chest when I'm not looking and throws out anything past the expiration date, and I'm not asking her if she has anything I can take because she uses herbal remedies and that stuff, I forget what it's called, where there might be one molecule of active ingredient in the whole bottle.  You know, that stuff.

She doesn't like chemicals.

Last night I was working logic puzzles in bed and dripping all over the pages.

Today I am miserable.  I can breathe through my nose, but I don't because that sets off sneezes that scare Jasper and aggravate this pounding headache I have.  It seems to be all sinus and nose at this point.  Temp 99.5 (normal for me is a bit over 97).

I've got to get up off my tail and go get something.  But I guess that's the other symptom.  I don't have enough energy to get dressed, let alone go out.
.

5 comments:

rockygrace said...

Personally, I'd choose shirtsleeve over tongue. But that's just me. Ha.

the queen said...

Yeah, I was thinking - you can't blow your nose into your hand?

But,hope you feel better. Saline nose spray for sinuses. Never expirese either.

little red said...

Expiration dates are BOGUS! I don't ever believe them. What, are you going to die taking something past the expiration date? Likely it's just slightly less effective. But in my opinion, expiration dates are the industry's way of getting you to throw something perfectly good out and spend more money. Bull poopy. Daughter is playing right into the marketing scam.

Hope you feel better sooner rather than later.

And homeopathy, seriously? From what I understand about it, it's also a bunch of bull poopy. How can something extremely diluted (100x) be stronger than something less diluted (10x)? Makes no logical sense to me. I don't just believe it because they say it. I want to see proof.

~~Silk said...

Rocky - I figure if I schnork it I end up swallowing it anyway....

~~Silk said...

Little Red - sometimes expiration dates on medicines are important. Over time the chemicals can undergo changes, and something that started out helpful can become dangerous - damaging to kidneys or liver. Jay used to be able to tell by reading the ingredients which things were stable and which could change in a bad way.

You can buy tetracycline at a pet or aquarium shop without a prescription, but pet-grade meds are often expired human meds, and degraded tetracycline can kill your liver, which is why people should never themselves take aquarium (or vet-supplied) meds.

Other things can be just fine - but we don't know which.... Jay did, but I sure don't.

I did sit Daughter down one day and explain the difference between "sell by" and "use by" dates, and that freezing extends the "use by". So now she tastes all my expired crackers before throwing them out. Oh, well, one step at a time.