Thursday, October 08, 2009

2614 Frittering

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Hugh Prather, Notes to Myself: "If the desire to write
is not accompanied by actual writing,
then the desire is not to write."

------------------------------------------

The above quote applies to everything.  If I truly want to see the world, I should be planning trips.  If I want to make pretty things, I should be setting up a work area.  If I want to lose weight, I should be walking more.  If I want to have company, I should be cleaning up the clutter.  If I want a man to care for me and whom I can care for, for the next twenty years or so, it doesn't make a lot of sense to fiddle around now.  I should be looking for that guy.  I guess I have to decide what I really want.  Apparently it's not travel, production, neat body, guests, or intimacy beyond great sex.

Last night I had dinner in an Italian restaurant in Albany.  It was "restaurant week", whatever that means, so we had a three-course dinner for $20.09.  It was disappointing.  My entree was shrimp scampi.  The shrimp were overcooked and tough, and the sauce was flavorless. Most of the Meetup dinners seem to average eight or nine women and one or two men.  This time, at least, there were five men and two women, odds I like better.  I have always preferred male conversation.  It seems to have a point.

Nothing much else is going on.  I have a very long "to do" list and I seem to be making no headway on it at all, and I have no reason and no excuse.  Time just seems to flow away on inconsequential but insistent items.

By the way, the best corn fritters are made with Bisquick and a can of creamed corn.  I forget the ratio, but it should be such that it makes a thick sticky pasty batter.  Then you drop by large round spoonfuls into hot oil and deep fry until they're light brown, ball-shaped, and puffy.  Serve with maple-flavored syrup.

No comments: