Tuesday, October 06, 2009

2612 Catching Up

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

L. Long:  "I shot an arrow into the air. It's still going - everywhere!"

-----------------------------

The above quote seems to apply to this old post.  I'm getting an increasing number of search hits a day landing on that post, people looking for information on the strange message.

Today's visitors were from Bronx, New York; Denver, Colorado; Gig Harbor, Washington; Buffalo, New York; Davidson, North Carolina; Buxton, Derbyshire, UK; and Los Angeles, California.  That virus is really getting around!


---------------------------


Saturday I went to Greenwich Village with The Gypsy for Venus Uprising's "Metamorphosis".  Many of The Gypsy's colleagues and friends were either in the show or in the audience.  Me, I just went for the city visit and the show, and was more than satisfied with both.  We arrived early enough for a sushi dinner and a little street wandering, and the dancing was mostly wonderful.

Photos from the show are here.  (Gypsy - these photos confirm that Autumn's dress is the one from the DVD, and it does have dangly sleeves.)

----------------------------

Sunday I attacked the mound of paper on the desk.  Monday I went to the movies in Fishkill, and saw "Julie and Julia".  You don't have to be a cook to enjoy it (although it did leave me with a desire to make Boeuf Bourguignon, even though I dislike wine in sauces).

There's been a lot of discussion about how they managed to make Meryl Streep look so tall by surrounding her with shorter people, standing her on stools, and so on.  Mostly that worked, but I did notice a few times when her arms were much too short for the level of her waist, and one scene in a restaurant when we get a side view, and it's very obvious she's sitting on a cushion at least eight inches thick - either that, or Meryl's rear end sticks out a LOT farther than I thought!

Yeah, inability to suspend disbelief again.

----------------------------

I've been trying to resolve a medical insurance problem.  The lab that handled one of my blood tests billed me a certain amount for the procedure.  My insurance company disallowed $70 of the charges as an included part of another procedure, paid the contractual amount to the lab, and the Explanation of Benefits (EOB) instructed me to pay only $1.79.  Which I did.  I enclosed a letter with the check to the lab explaining that I had been advised by the small print on both the EOB and the lab invoice that if there was a discrepancy I should pay only the amount indicated by the EOB, which I did.

Obviously no one from the lab read the letter, which pisses me off.  If they had, I would assume they would check the EOB, and if they had a problem they'd go to the insurance company to resolve it.  After all, the contract is between those two, and it's not something I can resolve, because I don't know what their agreement is.

The lab phone number gets me to an automated system, where I can review my account, pay a bill, change my contact/insurance info, and that's all.  There's no way to get a person.  I wrote another letter, which got no response except more overdue notices.  Then it went to a collection company, who have gotten progressively nastier.  I called them, and they gave me a number I could call to get a real person at the lab office.  The lab wanted me to fax the invoice and EOB (they don't have copies?), and no, a scanned attachment to an email won't do, they "have to have the original hardcopy".  When I pointed out that an attachment to an email can be printed, and what comes out of a fax machine is not "the original" anyway, the woman didn't get it**.  It must be faxed.  Period.

Three weeks, many hours on hold, several trips to the print shop in town, and over $15 in postage, gasoline, and fax costs (to convince them I owe only $1.79, which was paid), it is still not resolved, and they are now threatening my credit rating.

I wonder how many people just give up and pay the $70.  I'm not sick or elderly, but  I'm already at my wit's end.  Maybe that's why they ignore letters and ensure that you can't get to them by phone.  They just want to ignore and let the person give up and pay.

Me?  I want the fax costs and postage refunded!

-----------------------------

**That reminds me of a lawsuit I reviewed once, where the plaintiff didn't have a copy of the contract  because "I faxed it to the defendant.  I don't have it anymore.  They have it now!"  Boing?  Do these women think the paper is disassembled and teleported through the fax machine?

1 comment:

the Gypsy said...

Yes, I had determined that it was the same dress. Thank you, those photos are lovely!