Thursday, January 17, 2008

1645 Adding On

Thursday, January 17, 2008

At lunch with Piper yesterday, he rhapsodized about another of his clients. "Our age." Lives in the village. Widower, five years. Big beard. Just a little bit overweight. Financially secure. Really nice guy. "Just your type!"

He wants me to meet him. Thinks this guy and I should "get together", that we'd really hit it off.

I laughed at Piper - "...all the things you're telling me don't matter that much to me. It's the mind I want."

Confusion. I know that Piper has occasional romantic thoughts about me. We've actually discussed it. I've explained that with the fiduciary relationship, it's not an option. (I really like Piper, but I don't feel that kind of chemistry.) Piper is very jealous and suspicious of my current relationship, and would like to see it disappear.

So, why is he trying to hook me up with this new guy? Very strange.

I said no thank you, "One man at a time, remember? Maybe someday, but right now I'm just not interested in starting up something else."

------------------------------

What's weird is that Piper's push has reminded me of one of my pet peeves. I'll renew a magazine or whatever subscription for three or five years, and the very next year, on the anniversary of that multi-year renewal, they send me an offer of a special discounted price on a renewal.

Like they hope I won't remember that I've got several years already, and I'll renew for three or five MORE!

Another scam : I subscribe to "Harper's" magazine. NOT "Harper's Bazaar", that's an entirely different magazine. I have never subscribed to "Harper's Bazaar". ** And yet, about every three months, I get a "renewal reminder" from "Harper's Bazaar".

Do they really hope I won't notice the difference, and think I'm renewing "Harper's"? Are they using the "Harper's" subscriber lists? Who should I be more annoyed with, "Harper's" for giving out my address, or "Harper's Bazaar" for the subterfuge (same publisher)?

Or Piper, for trying to throw another man under my wheels to distract me from the current one?

-----------------
** (I mean sheesh! Go to the links and read the descriptions of the magazines! They couldn't BE more different. I am a Harper's type, but the Bazaar might well make me vomit.)
.

No comments: