Tuesday, January 10, 2006

#516 A Home for My CDs

I'd been frustrated by my CD storage arrangements. They are in a deep mission-style cabinet in the livingroom, in such a way that it was not at all convenient to paw through them, so that they usually ended up in stacks on top of the cabinet (which incidentally also holds the player). The cabinet is right next to my little bill-paying desk, so it would be convenient if I could use it for desk overflow, instead of the piles on the floor around the desk. Therefore, I need a CD cabinet, right? Make the CDs convenient, and free up some useful storage space. I measured, and decided it would fit neatly behind the door in the den.

I bought this, from spinkeeper.com:

It holds 330 CD's or 166 DVD's or 92 VHS tapes.

It arrived today, was left on my doorstep in a box as tall, wide, and deep as myself. And when I tried to drag it into the house, I found that it was also as heavy as myself.

I cleaned out behind the den door, thinking I would assemble it tonight.

Uh-uh. This is going to be an all-day project. There are 184 pieces of hardware, 16 pieces of wood (the visible parts are hardwood, backs and shelves are composite), and 2 pieces of glass. It requires two types of screwdrivers in two or three different sizes, a rubber mallet, glue (provided), various pliers, and who knows what else.

Oh, and space on the floor big enough to assemble it. I may be in trouble there. I mean, that's why I bought it - to open up some space...!

Well, the pieces are out of the box, and it sure is pretty, although it's a lot REDder than I expected, for cherry finish. I was thinking cherry wood, not cherry pie. Oh, well.

No comments: