Wednesday, May 26, 2010

2971 Ouch!

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Some grow with responsibility, others just swell.

------------------------------

6:15 PM. 97 degrees F.

Windows open, but no breeze.

Too hot to put the top down.

------------------------------------------------

I have a sunblock question. I am very fair and absolutely need sunblock. (And a hat. My hair is translucent and I don't want to burn the scalp on the top of my head.)

I can use almost anything on my arms, neck, back, chest without breaking out, but creams seem to block my pores or something - it feels very hot and I can't perspire. I can't use anything thicker than moisturizer on my face without breaking out. I don't get pimples. I get huge blocked pores where oil builds up under the skin, like a wen.

I tried an "oil-free" sunblock once. It made what felt like a hot plastic skin on my face, that, once I started sweating, formed a gritty scale that itched and peeled off. No good.

I bought Neutrogena Sensitive Skin lotion, SPF 60+. Again, it feels like I'm wearing a hotpad everywhere it's applied, it makes the hair on my arms stick down, and makes my face sweat so badly that it all sweats off within minutes. I put it on in the bathroom this morning, way before it got hot!, walked to the kitchen, and by the time I got to the kitchen, there were huge beads of sweat on my nose. Caused not by heat, but by the cream. SPF effectively dropped to zero.

Not to mention that it LOOKS like I have white paste on my skin, and it settles in white marks in pits and creases. No, I'm not using too much. It's just very thick.

So, suggestions? SPF 30 or up, that won't block my large pores? Won't make my skin feel gummy?
.

3 comments:

Becs said...

Check out Coolibar.com. I bought a great shirt from them that kept me from dying of sunburn more than once. They also have great hats.

I tried the Neutrogena spray-on stuff and it worked okay.

the Gypsy said...

I would hate to make a suggestion of another expensive cream that wouldn't work for you, but I've had success with some of the brands from the Mother Earth's Storehouse. More natural ingredients. But I surmise sunblock is still going to feel like that for you. I feel icky when I wear it too.

On my face, I use Olay Complete SPF 15 Fragrance Free. I was told once that by the time you've been out in the sun long enough for SPF over 15 to work, it's long worn off and ineffective anyway. That SPF 15 is really all you need.

I use sunscreen as little as I can get away with. At Pennsic, when we're out in the sun all day, I usually just do my face, chest and arms.

D got a terrible rash when I used a "health food store brand" sunscreen on his face once. Itchy spots. Terrible.

the Gypsy said...

Funny thing, I just ran across this article on Facebook about Sunscreens - http://www.aolnews.com/health/article/study-many-sunscreens-may-be-accelerating-cancer/19488158?sms_ss=facebook