Sunday, April 18, 2010

2934 Earrings, bonsai, and tea

There is a direct correlation between the size of the hoop earring and the sluttiness of the wearer.

------------------------------------

Ever notice that most men love big hoop earrings? About the only earrings I've ever got male compliments on were either huge thick dangling hoops, or demure pink pearl buttons. Madonna or whore.

------------------------------

"Sunday Morning" did a story this morning on bonsai. I've never been a fan. Yes, they are lovely, and take you into a fairy land. But they make me very sad, because they are like old Chinese women hobbling on bound feet. They were never allowed to be what they want to be, what they were meant to be.

------------------------------

For a while now I've wanted to say something about the tea party (for a long time I called them "the tea baggers", and it wasn't until I asked someone why they used that term, "don't they know what it means to frat boys?" when I was told the proper name. I'm amused that no one had corrected me before) but I never knew quite what to say.

I do think the concept is a good one, a movement of ordinary people gathering to make their concerns known. Takes me back to the anti-war days. But their language, and the degree of misinformation disseminated is disturbing. Although so far the gatherings have not been violent, the incendiary language is, and that frightens and repels me.

Pres. Clinton seems to have said it best in a speech last Friday in Oklahoma City:
"What we learned from Oklahoma City is not that we should gag each other or that we should reduce our passion for the positions we hold - but that the words we use really do matter, because there's this vast echo chamber, and they go across space and they fall on the serious and the delirious alike. They fall on the connected and the unhinged alike[.]"
That's who scares me - the delirious and the unhinged.

"Sunday Morning" (or maybe it was "Face the Nation"? Whatever. I can't find it either place, but it's netted out here: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/15/us/politics/15poll.html) outlined the demographics of the tea party this morning. They are overwhelmingly white, the majority are middle class, employed, gun owners, in other words, "the haves".

On a slightly different topic, I keep hearing that something like 70% of Americans are against health care reform, and yet in every venue at every opportunity, I have asked friends, acquaintances, and strangers, close to two hundred people by now, and so far I have found only one person against it, and he happens to be a Wall Street denizen and the most wealthy person I know. He's got his.

Either I don't know and never meet any ordinary people, or someone's lying.
.

4 comments:

Chriz said...

I get compliments on my favorite cuckoo clock earrings every time I wear them. I disagree with the hoops = slut theory. I am as square as a box but once in a while I wear hoops. I went through a phase in my teens when I wore one huge thin hoop with a charm dangling from it. Hoops are fun sometimes.

Becs said...

Frank Rich wrote an incoherent column in the NY Times, still on the web site, trying to mix Confederate history, the Tea Party, and racism. He received a lot of kudos for this, but I couldn't make heads or tails of it.

So far, President Obama has done me several good turns. The mortgage assistance program is a debacle, but that's another story.

I'm paying for my own health care now. It's barely better than no insurance at all.

~~Silk said...

I don't always agree with those green quotes - they're just things I came across that made me think.

I like hoops, too, especially dangly ones. The first official date with The Man, I wore large heavy silver ones. The first time he invaded my personal space was to touch them with one finger and say, "I wouldn't have thought of you wearing something like this. I like it."

That touch of daring, I guess.

~~Silk said...

Becs, I was able to find the column you mentioned (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/18/opinion/18rich.html?src=me&ref=general). I think his point is that elements of the more conservative parts of the Republican party and the tea party see their efforts as parallel to the states rights and individual rights concerns of the Confederate states. Same battle, but they don't see racism in it.