Monday, August 17, 2009

2552 Getting Discouraged

Monday, August 17, 2009

Laugh, and the world laughs with you.
Laugh hysterically for no apparent reason, and
they’ll leave you alone.

--------------------

Today is the two-month anniversary of beginning the weight-loss regimen. I lost 10 pounds the first month or so, and just 2 more since. I'm still getting fewer than 900 calories per day, and I'm walking at least three times a week. I don't think it can be explained by building muscles. The measurements haven't changed much either.

Today I discovered one of those diabetic dinners in the freezer, so I stuck it in the oven. It's a vegetable patty, carrots, and green beans. When I took the cover off, I was shocked by how much food was in the tray. I'm going to eat half of it now, and maybe the other half for "dessert" later instead of the Nutrisystem dessert.

My judgment of how much food should be on a plate has changed. Restaurant meals always looked large to me anyway - now they look ridiculous. I no longer lust after the candies, chips, and cakes in the gas station. In fact, I look around and curl my nose, "All trash! How unhealthy! Why can't they have any good snacks?" (It's because they probably wouldn't sell.)

Market forces and capitalism conspire to create obesity and diabetic complications.

Which reminds me - something I read recently. When "they" give the mortality rates for various conditions and diseases, many of them were not what is reported, but are actually the result of diabetes. Like, my father's death would have been reported as a heart attack. But the heart had likely been destroyed first by diabetes. A lot of deaths credited to organ failures, circulatory problems including embolisms, and even accidental falls, are actually deaths due to diabetes.

(No, I don't have diabetes. Not yet, anyway.)
.

1 comment:

the Gypsy said...

RE: Weight loss. Please forgive me if this unsolicited advice is unwelcome. I did take a course and considered myself, for a time, a certified "Personal Trainer".

One of the first rules of weight loss is that the farther you have to go, the easier it is to get there. Once you hit your "two month" mark, you body will plateau. Unless you change your routine, your weight loss will stop. Unless you kick up your exercise routine, take in even less calories, jumpstart your metabolism or some combination thereof, your body will get "used to" the routine you are on, and your weight loss will slow down or stop completely. Some people, once they hit the 6-8 week period, and do not change anything, actually begin to gain weight again, because their body has adapted. The only way to kick back into weight-loss mode is to change your routine.

That's the #1 reason diets and exercise fail. People hit that 6-8 week mark, start to adapt and plateau, get discouraged, and fall off the wagon.