Sunday, May 28, 2006

710 The Hunk Was Worried!

The Hairless Hunk's wife walks a lot on our road, and she came by as I was taking the garbage can down this evening. I said "I guess you've noticed I'm having a lot of work done in the woods." She said yes, that the Hunk was worried, that he had asked her if maybe I had fired him. (Ordinarily I would have given him first bid on the project.) I explained that this was probably the best deal I'd made in years, that the kid was doing it "free", in exchange for an easement for his electric line along my property line.

Maybe I should have warned the Hunk, so he wouldn't have worried.

I told her that I needed to talk with the Hunk about final cleanup, filling, and grading to make it easy to maintain, and possibly planting some flowering trees (ooo! ooo! dogwoods! yes!) and wildflowers. I'll need advice as to how to keep it woodsy and still discourage the growth of those nasty prickery things and poison ivy. I'd like most of it to still be deer and bunny friendly, but also people friendly.

They cleared the wedge at the bottom of the driveway and around the circle at the end of the road today, and for the first time ever I could see the house from the road, through the trees. I am somehow more comfortable knowing that the house can be seen from the road.

The black locust have blossomed this year, for the first time in a few years. They smell wonderful, very sweet. They've had some rough years due to some disease that's killing many of them. Maybe with my woods opened up a bit, it might help mine to survive. I hope.

No comments: